Mezquita of Cordoba, Spain:
Free entrance & opening hours
The Mosque of Cordoba is the most important architecture in Cordoba, and one of the most famous buildings in Spain. Imagine how beautiful it is that more than 1.5 million tourists visit it every year. The beautiful arches of the Cordoba mosque are really photogenic, but the crowds make it really hard to take good photos of it. As we know you probably want more than one picture inside the mosque, we are going to tell you all the possible tips to do it. But we will also be talking about the “Mezquita of Cordoba free entrance & opening hours” so you can make the best of your visit the to the Great mosque of Cordoba.
How to take an empty shot at the Mosque of Cordoba
It may sound impossible as there is always a lot of crowds and people inside the mosque. But we were able to make empty shots and we are going to tell you how.
First of all, make sure you visit the mosque either at 8:30 for “The Mezquita of Cordoba free entrance” or at 9:30 for the normal entry. IMPORTANT: Try to be the first one on the big queue.
We went at 8:30 and as soon as they let us go inside, we turned the left, in the opposite direction of where most of the people was trying to go. We gave the camera to our parents and pose for the picture. If you don´t take much time, you may be able to find another spot and get it empty. If not, all the tourists will get you and it will be impossible.
It´s important that you don´t get the tripod as it is not allowed, and you will waste all your time.
Mezquita of Cordoba Free Entrance
Before you start planning your time in Cordoba and think about what is the best time to visit the Great mosque, you should have in mind that there is a Mezquita of Cordoba free entrance!! That is right you can go inside the Mosque of Cordoba for FREE!
The Mezquita of Cordoba FREE entrance is from 8:30 to 9:30 during the whole week except Sunday. We recommend you to get there as soon as possible to be the first one in the queue. They start telling you to leave at 9:15 so you have to make the most of it in 45 minutes.
Mezquita Cordoba Opening hours
Although is cool to have the Mezquita of Cordoba free entrance, it is true that you just have one hour. And a place like the Cordoba Mosque of Spain deserves more time. Plus paying for such a historical monument it´s a good way to support the maintenance of it. In the case you decide to go at another time these are the Mezquita of Cordoba Opening hours:
- 1st of November to 28th of February the hours are:
From Monday to Saturday: Opens at 8:30 and closes at 18:00
Sunday and holidays: From 8:30 to 10:00 and from 14:00 to 18:00
- From the 1st of March to the 31st of October:
Mondays to Saturdays: From 10:00 to 19:00
Sundays and holidays: From 8:30 to 10:00 and from 14:00 to 19:00
- During the Christmas holidays the visiting times of the Great Mosque is from 10:00 to 14:00
Cordoba Mosque Tickets
- The Cordoba Mosque tickets is 10€ for adults.
- For people over 65 and children between 10 and 14 the price is 50% cheaper, so it would cost 5€.
- And for children that are less than 10 years old the entrance is FREE.
- Keep in mind that for the moment there is not an online shop, so there are high chances that you have to wait a long queue to get your tickets for the Mosque of Cordoba.
Where is the great mosque of Cordoba located?
- The Mezquita of Cordoba is located at Calle Cardenal Herrero, 1, 14003 Córdoba, or you can also find it here on the map.
To go to the Cordoba Mosque by bus, the lines are: 4,5,6 and 7.Other than that, is easy to go walking to the mosque, as it´s located in the centre old town.
From other famous attractions of Cordoba this is the time that will take you to get there:
- 5 minutes walking from the Roman bridge of Cordoba.
- About 9 minutes walking from the Alcazar of the Christian Monarchs.
- It takes more time to go from the Mosque to Medina Azahara, about 2 hours if you go walking. You probably decide to go by car or taxi which takes just 20 minutes.
The Great Mosque of Cordoba History
One of the most asked questions about the Mezquita is: When was the great Mosque of Cordoba built? And it is a hard question, as it is said that the site it was originally a Roman temple, and after that it was replaced to a Christian church. And from then the church started having a lot of changes: In 711 the Moors took Andalusia, but the church was still divided in two parts, one for Muslims and the other one for Christians. It didn´t last long and the constructions finished in 987 made Cordoba´s Mosque the largest in the Islamic Kingdom. And although the Christians recaptured Spain and Cordoba, they decided to leave the Mosque as a reminder (A few changes were done). Now it is consider the site as the Cordoba´s Mosque-Cathedral.
Great Mosque of Cordoba facts
- The Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba and the old town of the city was made an UNESCO world heritage site in 1984.
- About 1.5 million tourists visit the Mosque of Cordoba every year.
- The famous Torre de Alminar is around 95 meters high. You can climb up the stairs to enjoy an impressive view of Cordoba.
- The total length is about 24,000 square meters.
Mezquita of Cordoba dress code
There is not a clear dress code to visit the Mosque. It´s really hard to find clear information about it, and even if you ask in the surroundings, they don´t have it clear. But for all we know, for men there is not any rule in concrete, we visited it in shorts and had no problem at all. For women the only issue is about wearing bare shoulders (And not always).
Hey! This is Alfonso and Gonzalo, “The Traveler Twins”. Guess you know why that name, but in case you don´t… well, we are twins that travel!
We are 21 years old Spanish brothers who dropped out of college and left everything aside to foucus on our travel photography and film making, our passion!